We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Dish type
- Bread without yeast
- Soda bread
If you would like to make soda bread but don't want to heat up the oven, this recipe is perfect. Sort of like drop scones, these soda bread wedges are pan-fried on a frying pan or griddle.
6 people made this
- 300g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 475ml buttermilk, or as needed
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:30min ›Ready in:40min
- Preheat a frying pan or flat griddle to medium-high, about 180 degrees C. Stir the flour, salt, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda together in a large bowl until well combined.
- Stir in the buttermilk, 100ml at a time, until the mixture forms a very sticky ball of dough. Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead gently 8 to 10 times. Pat the dough into a circle about 3cm thick, and cut the circle into quarters.
- Place the wedges onto the preheated griddle and cook until the bottom is golden brown, about 15 minutes; turn over and cook the other side until golden, another 10 to 15 minutes. A skewer inserted into the centre of a wedge should come out clean. Stand the wedges on a wire rack to cool, then cut each wedge in half and slice horizontally for serving.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(2)
Reviews in English (2)
I used this recipe for inspiration. I used spelt flour instead of all-purpose and used a vinegar-soy milk combination instead of buttermilk. This bread definitely needed a well floured surface to knead on!!! I kept the bread whole instead of quartering before putting on the frying pan. This produces a fine crumb bread, and was delicious!-24 Sep 2011
I have never made this. But our family recipe is very similar.Our family recipe used 4 cups of flour. We would cook the bread on all sides for app 30 minutes per side. Once cooled, we sliced it in app 1/2 inch slices and fried in bacon fat( medium high heat just until it started to brown) and served with bacon and eggs. This version can be frozen for an extensive period.-12 Dec 2016