We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Dish type
- Biscuits and cookies
This is a recipe from the Pennsylvania Dutch, German-speaking settlers in America.
Be the first to make this!
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 eggs
- 220g dark brown soft sugar
- 50g chopped candied citron
- 50g chopped almonds
- white or lemon icing
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:15min ›Ready in:30min
- Preheat oven to 180 / Gas 4. Grease a large baking tray.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and cream of tartar together.
- Mix the eggs and sugar thoroughly. Combine this with the flour mixture and stir in the citron and almonds.
- Roll the mixture on a floured surface to 6mm thick; it will be very stiff. Trim to fit on your baking tray.
- Bake until lightly coloured, about 15 minutes. Cut into squares or diamonds while still warm. Ice thinly with white or lemon icing and leave to set.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(2)
Reviews in English (2)
Quite tasty! I used parchment paper and baked on a cookie sheet. The dough was very stiff and hard to incorporate all the flour, but I resisted the urge to add anything. I rolled it between two layers of parchment, directly onto the cookie sheet. We don't care for candied citron so I added 1/2 c. raisins and no nuts. I made a vanilla glaze and applied it while still warm. Great with my morning coffee.-31 Mar 2011